The History of Royal Victoria Park
When we completed the purchase of the Amenity Land at Royal Victoria Park we received a huge box of paperwork to go with it! Half the box contains copies of all the TP1’s but the other half holds a wealth of paperwork relating to the land dating back to 1800.
This includes around 50 documents telling the history of where we live which builds a great story! This historic information is being held safely in our files.
What we know so far
The land which all the houses and flats now sit on was originally part of The Blaise Castle Estate. Repton Hall, originally Brentry House, was designed by Humphry Repton and was built in 1802.
It subsequently became the offices of Brentry Hospital which had been founded in 1898 as the Brentry Certified Inebriate Reformatory. In 1922 it became an institution for the mentally ill (and was renamed Brentry Certified Institution). It was renamed again in 1930 as the Brentry Colony, finally becoming Brentry Hospital in 1948 when it was absorbed into the newly created National Health Service.
The hospital was closed in 2000 before the land was sold for the development we see today.
It'd be great if we could work chronologically through the conveyances, mortgage, trust deeds and other documents to extract the detail of the ownerships since 1800 but we're no archivists!
If however we have any local historians among our residents with a passion for the subject, and who would like to take on this project, please get in touch — drop us a line via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org